Have you noticed that your business water bills are higher than usual?
Have you seen a steady uptick over the last several years and you’re not sure why?
Business water rates increase each year in April, because:
- The underlying cost of maintaining the British water network increases each year.
- In the deregulated water markets business water suppliers are free to increase their prices each year.
- Watching your business water bill continue to rise can be stressful, but the good news is that you don’t have to live with exponential rates.
Thanks to water deregulation, the retail market is open for businesses in England, Scotland and for large companies in Wales. This means there’s an opportunity to choose your own water supplier for water and wastewater services.
Can I change my business water supplier?
Yes, Absolutely. From 2017 any property in England and Scotland that isn’t primarily used as a home can choose their water supplier.
Before going into the benefits of switching water suppliers, it is worth a quick overview of the different organisations providing high-quality drinking water to your business.
On deregulation in 2017, the water industry was split into water wholesalers and water suppliers.
Water wholesalers are the companies that are responsible for supplying clean water and removing wastewater from your property. Wholesalers maintain the entire water network from reservoirs, treatment centres to the pipes that enter your property.
When there is a problem with your water supply, your water meter, or a leak in the pipe to your property, it will be your wholesaler that fixes the problem. Your business cannot choose or switch wholesalers as each looks after the infrastructure in a different region of the UK, as detailed in this helpful Ofwat guide.
Water suppliers purchase water from the wholesaler in bulk and then sell it to their individual business customers across the country. The responsibilities of the water supplier are:
- Accurately invoicing your company for water used.
- Provide customers services and act as a point of contact if anything goes wrong.
- Arranging for regular meter readings.
Water suppliers can provide water and wastewater services to any non-household property in the UK. In the open water market, you are free to switch between water suppliers.
What happens when I switch business water supplier?
The amount of water and the supply details to your property are recorded on a central database overseen by Ofwat, the regulator. The database is updated when a meter reading is recorded or anything changes in the supply to your property.
Each supplier has access to this database which allows for a seamless transfer from one supplier to another. When you switch water supplier, you will receive a final bill from your old supplier and then your first bill from your new supplier. It’s as simple as that.
The critical thing to remember is there is no change to how water gets to your property. There is no risk of supply interruption or any changes to the quality of the water you receive.
How can I switch business water supplier?
Here are the steps to switching business water supplier:
- Identify the tariffs available from alternative suppliers. In the open water market, each supplier chooses how much to charge their customers. The first step of the switching process is to compare your current deal to available alternatives.
- Choose your new supplier. This decision is based not only on price but the quality of service you expect to receive from your new supplier.
- Contact your new supplier to commence the onboarding process. Onboarding with a new supplier usually involves agreeing to a new supply contract and is contingent on passing credit checks with the new supplier.
- Ceasing supply with your old supplier. When the onboarding process is completed with your new supplier, they will contact your old supplier and arrange the transfer of your supply.
- Settlement of charges with your old supplier. Your old supplier will issue a final invoice completing the switching process.
The Benefits of switching water suppliers
The main benefits of switching business water supplier are:
- Saving money. The most obvious reason to change water retailers is to save your business money on your water supply bill. Thanks to water deregulation, many newly licensed suppliers are available to work with businesses and offer competitive rates. Switching suppliers can save your business up to 20% on its water and wastewater bills.
- A more innovative approach to water supply. Newly licensed suppliers have researched new and innovative ways to provide their customers with relief on their business water rates. That means your business will not only save money on your business water bills, but you’ll also benefit from an improved customer service experience.
- Securing a fixed water rate for a long period of time. By moving to a new supplier, your business can lock in a specific water rate for a fixed period of time. Not only does this allow you to save money upfront, but it reduces the risk for rate increases in the future.
- Improved efficiency. New suppliers are in the business of consolidating and simplifying water bills, so you’ll also benefit from overall improved business efficiency. Gone are the days of rummaging through various bills — a new supplier can mean a more organised, simplified process.
- Additional services. New suppliers are prepared to go above and beyond providing additional water services to your business. Implementing water usage monitoring systems and water-saving devices are a great example of this.
Ready for a change? Simplify the switch with AquaSwitch
Switching suppliers doesn’t have to be a confusing and tedious process. At AquaSwitch, we want to eliminate the stress involved with working with an alternative water provider. With our extensive knowledge and experience in the water supply industry, we can work on your behalf as an intermediary and help you find a supplier that will get you the best possible rate for your business.
Interested in connecting with AquaSwitch? Our process is simple:
First, we’ll ask you to fill out a simple form to provide details that will give us an inside look at the water supply that meets your business needs.
Most of the information needed from us can be found on your last water bill, so keep that handy while filling out the form.
Once we gather all of the necessary information, we’ll send it off to various market suppliers so we can gather quotes. We’ll compare and contrast the rates to ensure you’re getting the best possible price so making the switch is really worth your while.
Remember, you don’t have to worry about contacting any suppliers; our experts will do all of the research and quote collection to make sure you’re getting the best deal possible.
Finally, once we’ve found a quote you feel confident about, one of our water specialists will finalise the switch and take care of all of the onboarding processes that come with working with a new water supplier. You don’t even have to worry about disconnecting service with your prior supplier; all you need to do is smile and think about how much money you’re going to save now that you made the official switch.
See? Making business moves doesn’t have to be complicated and overwhelming. Learn more about how our customers save money on their business water bills and how you can do the same by contacting one of our experts today.